Saturday, December 08, 2007

Green Christmas...

Alright, I already have a pile of presents under the tree. We have a loose budget. Wouldn't it be great if we just did tradition without the spending. I can't help but think of Little Women and Amy saying that "I am desperate for drawing pencils" but then they are still so thankful anyway. I know it is a different time and era but if the kids weren't around, it would be different. So why can't we just stop buying? Because it is not normal. I ran across Don't Buy anything for Christmas. Once you get to their ideas it is really great.
for example, my in laws are always a gift problem. Not only do thy have everything, they probably have two of everything! I may get them the stuff they would have to go out and buy on a shopping trip instead. Maybe throw in a few things they might not consider. Still workng on that list - I guess I need to hurry!

Also visit Ten thousand villages. Helping the environment and changing the world are ideas I discuss in my classes but do not completely follow. By buying from companies such as Ten thousand villages, you give a hand up to some of the poorest areas of the world. On top of that, you start to change society by giving value especially to women where they have not been valued before. Not sexist but true: If the value of women around the world were to change, then many of the problems that exist there will begin to change.

No comments: