Wednesday, August 08, 2007




I am fascinated by the web 3.0 tools that exist out there. My kids are familiar with it. Xbox Live and World of Warcraft are web 3.0 tools. I have visited the virtual world Second Life and think it is cool that you can take classes there and actually walk into a virtual classroom or a virtual shop and buy items there. Maybe the wave of the future? I think it is too unregulated yet to be safe but I looked around and then created my own avatar in photobucket to feel part of this new world. You can actually create one that looks like you at a different site, but I might have to pay for that. I might try that next. I am finding these things while doing research for using technology in my classroom. I don't think it keeps me focused though as it seems to divert my attention. Does this happen to the kids too? Either I have ADD or I don't multitask on the computer as well as I thought.
Speaking of getting things done, I no longer make an item like "clean the house". I now say specifically what cleaning the house is. Sweep the carpet, scrub the tile, etc. Seems weird to do that but it is hard to see how much time a big item like "clean the house" can take. Breaking it down means you can do little parts one at a time. Now to apply this to my lesson planning. If I write "plan my lessons in Academic Biology for September" I will spend time thinking "What does that mean?" I would be more focused overall to break up the tasks into actual actions and then have great fun crossing off the list as I go. This is my new goal.

No comments: